I get very wrapped up in ordinary life, like so many people. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of animals, my job and lately remodeling a little bit. We, my fiance and I, both have been extremely busy with redoing the floor and it's finally done:)
I got to thinking yesterday that it's been a long time since I have taken a "moment" to enjoy the little things in life. I took a moment, and looked out the window. I look outside many times a day to check on the animals, garden, and other things. This was different, I wasn't counting heads, wasn't running by the garden to check something quickly, or checking on a sick horse. I was just looking. Looking at the sky, at the trees, the birds and the.... turkeys?
Really, wild turkeys, in our backyard? I haven't seen any of them in the past almost 5 years we have been here. There was a tom and a hen. I sat there watching them, and there were 5 other babies with them. It was a beautiful family and all in our backyard. I went outside to get a picture, but they saw me before I could get a good picture. It was such a joy to see these wonderful creatures.
Once again today, I decided to take another moment, while looking at our front horse pasture, I didn't know what I was looking for. What I saw was my "moment" for today. There were 2 wonderful horses, grooming each other. They were facing each others tails and gently biting each others backs where they can't reach by themselves. The moment was followed by some grazing and a playful race up to the top of the hill.
This was an extremely special moment for me. All of our horses are rescues on our farm. One of the horses, a young filly, was a mustang we adopted almost a year ago with 2 others, as a 4-H project for some local town kids. The other horse was a recent rescue. He came in with marks from other animals, hives and sores all over his body, face and legs.
Earlier this spring we had something going around in our herd, no vets could pinpoint what it was, and it killed 4 horses within 3 days, and put the mustang filly not able to stand up for 7 days. We had spent hours laying with her, and months helping her get back up, and treating all of her pressure sores and infections. We thought that she would always be reliant on some help, due to a gimpy leg from being down for so long. That was high hopes, considering that we really didn't think she could make it.
It was a huge joy to see both the mustang and her buddy being a "mustang" again. The way they groomed each other, running and not limping, with a herd that they get along with so wonderfully:) That was my moment today.
I've always enjoyed the little things in life and love every moment of them. Sometimes I don't take enough of time to "enjoy a moment."
No comments:
Post a Comment