Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Timer....

Just like any first timers, not sure what to say on my first post. I'm not a professional writer and I started this just to share stories with others. So here's a little bit about us:)

We live in Northern Iowa on a small, 10 acre farm. We wish to expand that someday, but it will take time and some persuading of the big farmer next door for some more land:) We know that is a few years off. In the meantime we have plenty of work to be done. The house was in good shape when we bought it, but the outbuildings and land were not in good shape. It's been a long few years of work in progress.

Right now we have a few horses that we have rescued over the years. We also got into dairy goats this past year. We have 17 dairy doelings and we have 3 milking does. I'm hoping to use the milk for cheese and other goat products. Haven't had time to experiment with any of it. For now, it's in the freezer for other critters.

I would like to add some more critters on the farm. Chickens, turkeys, pigs and maybe a calf or sheep would be great and useful. We would need better fences than what we have right now, so for now they are out of the question. One of these days hoping to have time to re-fence more areas of our farm off for smaller livestock. Still thinking that some free range chickens would do all right for now. Just have to decide what kinds we want and a brooding area for them. Hoping to have some for the freezer this winter.

Our garden didn't work as well as we were hoping for this year. It's all a work in progress. With a lot more work needed than progress right now:P Just as long as I get enough to can for over the winter, I will be thrilled. Our fruit orchard isn't complete and we are hoping that by next year we could get a few apples or cherries out of it.

It is time to do chores, off I go. Enjoy your weekend everyone:) And stay cool if your anywhere near us.

~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment